Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Bugs in my oatmeal

I made a bowl of oatmeal this morning, threw some fresh black berries on it, and was about to pour milk on top, which I noticed some movement out of the corner of my eye in the clear plastic container we keep the oatmeal in... at first, I thought it was an ant, and wasn't too creeped out. Then I noticed more. I remember getting these things in our flour when I was a kid, though our flour wasn't in an airtight container. All the same, I couldn't eat the oatmeal I had just made (though I did salvage the black berries).

I'm going to pretend that the bugs (and larvae) weren't in there yesterday when I did eat that oatmeal.

Guess we get to clean out our pantry tonight! Ah, so nice to be back from vacation.... ICK!

This post is syndicated from Thoughts on security, beer, theater and biking!

2 comments:

  1. My understanding is the plastic containers are good, but they just contain the weevils or flour bugs or whatever to the container. Grains will eventually go bad--the little buggers are from the farm, it's just a matter of time. Better than not having oatmeal at all. It's the lesser of two weevils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I remember that from the flour going bad when I was a kid. Still, very creepy! This morning's batch was free of bugs.

    ReplyDelete